In 1870 Michalis Katsimantis, a trader, chose one of the two headlands of the Gerolimenas bay to construct a two-storey house with a defensive tower and various warehouses. Gerolimenas turned out to be an ideal spot for the developing trade of inner Mani with the rest of Greece and the Mediterranean.
The buildings were completed by Theodoros Kyrimis, Katsimantis' nephew, a trader from the village of Pangia, who later became mayor of Messi. In the years that followed the business flourished to such an extent that a thriving trading post grew up - the village of Gerolimenas.
Today, growing out of the rocks, only a few metres from the water, the buildings seem to be dreaming of their glorious past. As they look out over the sea, their thoughts turn back to bygone years...
In August 1875 the steam ship which plied the route from Piraeus to Kalamata, made port for the first time at the southern point of the Peloponnese, with the sole aim the growth of trade.
It was a historic moment for Mani.
Check-in / Check-out Policy
Check-in: from 12:00 h
Check-out: until 10:00 h